Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tofu Feta

Hello!

Lately, Caitlin and I have been enjoying tofu feta, a vegan substitute for my favorite goat cheese. The recipe is really simple, so I thought I would share!

You'll need:
  • 1/2 Block of Firm Tofu
  • One lemon
  • 1 Tsp Soy sauce
  • 2 Tsp Salt
  • 2 Tbsp Nutrtitional Yeast
Now, the soy sauce and the yeast are optional, but I really think they add to the flavor of the tofu as a whole.
  1. Juice the lemon.
  2. Mix lemon, soy sauce, salt, and yeast together in a long flat dish or Tupperware.
  3. Add water. You should only add enough water so that when the tofu is added, it will be completely submerged.
  4. Crumble tofu into the liquid mixture.
  5. Refrigerate overnight.
  6. Drain tofu.
The longer you can drain the tofu, the better. Also, I add the salt and soy sauce to taste, so these numbers are very flexible. I love this recipe because I really really missed feta! We used it to make Greek salad, but it would work most times as a feta substitute, including in spanokopita (I apologize if that is misspelled!)

Au Revoir,
Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment