Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Only Way to Cook Brussel Sprouts


Having tried brussel sprouts out a few times at the old folks home where I used to work, I had placed them on the X list of vegetables. I suppose I should have known that boiled vegetables kept warm in water are always bad news.

This year, Caitlin reintroduced me to the nutritious green vegetable. She likes to cut them in half and saute them in oil, then eat them with just salt and pepper. They're quick and delicious that way, but personally I prefer a bit more complicated method we learned from the manager of Columbia's campus grocery.

What you'll need:
  • Brussel Sprouts (About 10)
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 1 Tbsp Mustard (I prefer spicy brown or dijon)
  • Oil
Directions:
  1. Cut out the core of the brussel sprouts
  2. Peel all of the leaves and place into a bowl
  3. Discard the cores
  4. Heat a few tablespoons of oil over medium heat
  5. When the oil is hot, add brussel sprouts
  6. Saute for 2-3 minutes
  7. Add mustard and saute for an additional minute
  8. Remove from heat and toss in salt and pepper to taste
They are truly delicious prepared this way! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I have a better way...I'll show you when we get to school! (and when they're in season...)

    ReplyDelete