Monday, January 18, 2010

Taquitos


Hello! I haven't updated in a while, so I figured I would post my latest concoction. Today, I made taquitos. They're are surprisingly easy, and work pretty well baked instead of fried. They're crunchy with a soft filling, which is all I ever really want in a food. I ate them with nutritional yeast gravy, my personal favorite cheese substitute.

For the taquitos, you'll need--
  • Corn Tortillas (about 12)
  • 16 0z Can of Vegetarian Refried Pinto Beans
  • 1/2 Cup of Baby Bella Mushrooms
  • 1/2 Cup of Onion
  • 2 Tbsps of Olive Oil
  • Spray Oil (Pam is the popular brand)
  • 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
  • 1 Tsp Cumin
  • 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
Then, you ought to--
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
  2. Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan over medium high heat and add the spices.
  3. Dice the onions and chop the mushrooms.
  4. Add onions to the oil and cook for several minutes until they begin to brown.
  5. Add the mushrooms to the oil. Cook for several minutes. When finished, the mushrooms should have darkened several shades.
  6. Mix the refried beans, mushrooms, and onions together in a mixing bowl.
  7. Microwave the tortillas, several at a time, for thirty seconds to soften them.
  8. Place about three spoonfulls of the bean mixture in each tortilla, and roll into a thin cylinder. Unlike a burrito, the taquitos have open ends.
  9. Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet and lay the finished taquitos on it. Spray them generously with the spray oil.
  10. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, or until the taquitos are lightly browned.
  11. Bon apetite!
Taquitos are delicious dipped in vegan sour cream, guacamole, or alone. The filling is flexible; the second time I made them, I put mashed potatoes, carrots, onion, and mushrooms. They should be served with rice, or as a side.
The first time I made these, I left out the olive oil because I prefer to sweat vegetables rather than cook them with oil. Either way works.

No comments:

Post a Comment